The upgrade of the road is necessitated by the wear and tear over the years that has resulted in the failing road surface. The scope of works includes rebuilding the road, installation of underground stormwater drainage system, new kerbs and sidewalks.
The contract has accommodated the Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) which will benefit local labour and SMME’s contractors. A community liaison officer has been appointed and site establishment has commenced.
Semi-Permanent Closure of East Rand:
- Due to the extent of works along East Road, the road will be closed to all roads users from 11 June 2018 up until 1 November 2018.
- The semi-permanent closure of East Road in all directions will be carried out from day to night until project completion.
- East Road is situated between Axel and Dynamo streets. Motorist will be accommodated via a detour route via Nicholas Street which is off Chris Hani Road.
- Access to all properties affected by the closure will be made accessible to residents only.
Motorists will also be able to use the listed alternative detour routes in the interim:
- New Asphalt Road detour route
- Gravel road detour route
- Chris Hani Road
A Traffic Management Plan is in place to accommodate the five-month road reconstruction scope of works. Temporary road traffic signs will be erected to redirect pedestrians and motorists. Flag persons on site will be prepared with directions of alternative routes to redirect traffic. In addition, a sign board with the traffic accommodation plan will be accessible at major intersections in the area.
Motorists traveling in the vicinity of the road reconstruction are advised to:
- Travel at a safe distance and reduced speed
- Be aware of men at work on site and flag persons redirecting traffic
- Adhere to temporary road signage